The 9th Annual Washtenaw Elementary Science Olympiad is coming up at the end of the school year, and enthusiastic coaches are needed to help prepare our kids for the tournament!
There are 18 different events that test different skills. Coaches for the following events are still needed: Chopper Challenge, Mystery Architecture, Potions, Sink or Float, and Straw Tower (the previous Circuits coach is also willing to train a new coach). Event descriptions can be found at http://www.aaps.k12.mi.us/wesowizards.home/events_2010 . Get a friend and coach an event together!
As a reminder, coaches and co-coaches are responsible for (not an all-inclusive list):
- Holding practices regularly, usually once per week, from about Feb-March until the date of the tournament
- Keeping attendance
- Staying with the kids after practice until they are ALL picked up
- Ranking the kids in your event so that the team can be put together
- Coming up with a display for Science Night. This year we would like to bring back the more-interactive displays, at least for events that are conducive to such a presentation.
- Guiding our kids to and from your event on Tournament Day (date to be determined)
If you are interested in coaching, please contact Vivian Lin and Erika Levin, this year's King Elementary Science Olympiad co-head coaches, at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Student signups for Science Olympiad will be in January--keep a lookout for the signup link in the eNotes then!