Saturday, May 26, 2007

End Of School Year Behavior

As we wind down the school year, it is always important to note that children can feel quite a bit of anxiety. Maybe it is the warmer weather or uneasiness about the changes looming ahead. At school, this can manifest in behavior that is out of the ordinary—not following basic rules, moodiness, quiet, frequent disagreements with peers (or even the teachers or principal). Teachers and I are watchful and we intervene if something comes up, often through discussion with an individual who needs extra support but sometimes with a larger group if that is needed or is most appropriate.

I am sharing this information now after noticing an increase in the number of students who are showing behaviors that shout, “I’m needing a little help here,” or “I think it is time we sat down and talked for a few minutes.” I know the behavior/anxiety is somewhat typical as it is a pattern I’ve seen over the years. I’ve also noticed it helps if, when something is noticed, we talk about it with our children. I hope this helps over the next few weeks of school and as we get summer vacation started.