Saturday, May 26, 2007

Fifth Grade Returns From Space Camp

On Friday, May 26 our fifth graders returned from Space Camp. As I watched students get off the buses, they all had smiling faces but also looked very tired. There were lots of stories being shared with parents about astronaut training, robotics, astronaut missions, the multi-axis trainer, the 1/6 gravity chair, Rocket Park (and the authentic Saturn V rocket), the 5-degrees of freedom chair, and I heard a lot about the MMU (Manned Manuvering Unit). I also heard kids talk quite often about their Habitat experiences which is the name Space Camp gives its dormitory facilities. I think quite a few of our almost middle school students were really enjoying the independence of being in a dorm for a few nights (knowing they'd be back at the safety and security of home in a few nights).

I also want to note the extraordinary initiative, organization, leadership, and dedication of the fifth grade team at MLK. Organizing and taking a group of students on any field trip, let alone a trip 1000 miles from home, requires many extra hours for teachers. By far, Space Camp is no exception. I hope you'll joining me in thanking our teachers.